Tuesday, September 22, 2015

First night in Sevilla

When I got to Sevilla I was feeling entirely too lazy to walk the mile to the hostel so decided to take a cab, which was my first experience with how wonderfully inexpensive this area is. The cab to the hostel was only like $10, so totally worth it.

I got to the hostel, checked in, and took a quick breather before realizing if I sat still for any longer I'd be asleep before I knew it. Since I didn't want to start off the trip with a totally screwed up sleep schedule, I got up, changed into some clean clothes, and went exploring the riverwalk near our hostel on the Paseo de Cristobal Colon (who departed from Sevilla on his first excursion to the Americas, so there's quite a few things named after him up here). I saw the Plaza de Toros (the big, pretty bullfighting ring I posted a photo of on instagram), wandered around looking for a place for dinner, and just generally got oriented while the sun set over the river.

Once it did (most restaurants don't even open for dinner until at least 8pm), I went looking for grub and found a restaurant near the hostel that looked good. I walked in, ordered, looked around, and saw three different Rick Steve's guides scattered around various customer's tables. I checked when back at the hostel and sure enough he had recommended it, which was funny to find out and a good sign of the food to come. I got a big wheel of warm cheese and honey and jam, along with olives and what I think is some weird form of almond. I also got a strange potato-and-shrimp salad that was tasty, but strange and seemed to be mostly made of mayo.

Warm goat cheese, honey, marmalade, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries.
After dinner, I went back to the hostel and had a glass of wine on the roof (which seems to be the way every one here ends every evening), then went to bed. Quite happy I made it up as late as I did, since it means my internal clock normalized MUCH faster. The real exploration started the next morning, but my laptop battery is dying so I'll have to cover that later. For now, here's the view from my hostel's roof.

Sunset behind the cathedral, from my hostel

No comments:

Post a Comment